... we’re confident
that after you complete one or more
[of these mods]
and hear, see, or
feel the difference
it makes, you’ll be
eager to do more.
4. Strip the end of the green wire that
you clipped in step 2. Then twist
the green wire together with the new
piece of wire prepared in step 3. To
solidify their connection, solder
5. Insulate this cleverly extended bit
of wiring by either trimming and
applying an appropriate length of
heatshrink tubing OR wrapping
the exposed portion in insulation
tape, as shown below.
6. Now let’s take a look at our new
switch. Either a 2-pole/double-throw
or 3-pole/double-throw will work.
This one is a 3-pole/double-throw, but
we’ll only use two of the three poles.
Note the nine tags on the bottom.
(The piece of tinned bridging wire is
on the table next to the switch.)
7. Position your switch so it’s in the
same orientation as the photo
above—that is, with three rows of
three tags, with the holes facing you.
8. Solder a piece of the tinned wire
to the bottom left and bottom
9. Fantastic. Now remove the old
footswitch and place the new
footswitch in the vacated space.
10. Solder the brown wire (which is from
the input socket) to the left-hand
11. Solder the white wire (from the
output socket) to the center tag.
12. Solder the blue wire (from the circuit
output) to the middle top tag.
13. Solder the extended wire created in
steps 3-5 above (which comes from
the green circuit-input wire) to the
left-hand top tag.
14. Marvelous—you now have true-bypass switching! Your tags should
look like the pic below.
GO FORTH AND MODIFY<
Although the four projects we’ve covered here are intended to be a simple
introduction to the world of pedal modding, we’re confident that after
you complete one or more and hear, see, or feel the difference it makes,
you’ll be eager to do more. I recommend plugging into the giant super
brain of the internet, which has a bounty of great mods available for the
brave (of course, as with anything online, some are absolute tosh). As an
initial port of call, I’d recommend geofex.com, fuzzcentral.ssguitar.com,
and diystompboxes.com. Best of luck!